Thursday 19 November 2015

Face the wall and do oral presentation reflection!

It had been a difficult day to go through the process of preparation of the presentation. Fortunately, I made it this week. Nevertheless, I had not given the best experience to my audiences.

I forgot to maintain eye contacts with my audiences until my presentation was done halfway. The audiences might have lost their interest and focus on my presentation due to the insufficient engagement of eye contacts. My nervousness and inadequate preparation for the presentation played an important role in causing the problem of eye contacts. Similarly, my meaningless gestures, fast speaking speed and random body movement are also the consequences of nervousness and inadequate preparation. I might have mislead my audiences with wrong gestures and movements during the presentation. In addition, the inadequate preparation for the presentation also deprived my groupmate in coordinating the presentation slide with my verbal presentation. The audiences might have failed to understand my points due to the wrong slides shown.
To cope with the problems, I have planned to make changes to my future presentation preparation. If nervousness is one of the greatest enemy of me, calming myself down must be achieved before my presentations start. Measure includes reaching the presentation venues 10 minutes earlier, setting up the visualizers and laptop as early as possible, as the measure gives myself more time to calm down before the presentation starts. Furthermore, I should believe in myself in being able to give the audiences the best experiences. Believing yourself is similar to doing the “superman” pose before the presentation, which can enable yourself to at least perform with less interference of nervousness. Moreover, group practicing should be carried out more frequently. Such practice can allow other members of the group to understand each other’s slides better. We are able to know which words or sentences coordinate with which slides so that any of us can control the slides during the presentation well.



However, notwithstanding the great need for improvement, I can say that I enjoyed the presentation with my passion and enthusiasm. I believe my enthusiasm brought joy to the audiences. This is indeed the objective of my presentation. I should retain my enthusiasm to make every further presentation a successful and fun one!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Hinnessy,

    I thought that your presentation was good!
    YOU SPOKE WITH A LOT OF CONFIDENCE AND WITH MUCH GUSTO!
    I applaud you for that!
    However towards the end of the presentation, you seem like you are going to breakdown anytime soon!
    Other than that, the presentation was a job well done!

    However, there are some obvious error in the blog post I thought it would be nice to highlight

    Similarly, my meaningless gestures, fast speaking speed and random body movement are also caused by the factors of nervousness and inadequate preparation.
    >>>>>>> factors of nervousness( isn't all these a result of nervousness and inadequate preparation)


    Measures including >>>>> ( measure includes)
    setting up the visualisers and laptop as early as possible must be adapted to give myself more time to calm down before the presentation starts.

    >>>>>>setting up the visualisers and laptop as early as possible as this give me more time to calm down before the presentation starts


    There are a couple of grammatical errors and weird sentence structures present in the blog post itself. You might want to take note of that!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your detailed admiration, as well as your feedback for improvement. I have made adjustment to my article and hopefully I have the opportunities to make adjustments to my real presentations again! Do not forget to give feedback next time, okay?!

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much, Hinnessy, for this detailed self-critical reflection. You do a good job reviewing your presentation and an even more thorough one projecting to what you need to do in the future. Best of luck for the next presentation! No doubt your "passion and enthusiasm" will help you achieve all you are capable of achieving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing out my strength,Brad. Your approval is the power for me to continue my passion and build the base of my confidence!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hinnessy! I thought that you did really well instead, as you've displayed enthusiasm throughout. I believe practice makes perfect for everyone, including for myself. All the best in SIT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Hope I can surprise you with my strength coupled with improvement based on others' feedback next time!

      Delete